Jan 19, 2012

AO Day 4: The big yawn at Rod Laver Arena

If you're a hardcore tennis fan and look for exciting 5-set-matches... don't go to Rod Laver Arena. At least for now. Save your money and look elsewhere.

Ticket holders at RLA were of course able to see the big names: On Thursday, Sharapova, Serena and Novak stepped up. They won their matches easily, too easily, reminding the older spectators of how Tennis used to be when Steffi Graf and Monica Seles graced the courts. Warm up, destroy the opponent, and back to the lockers. The atmosphere on the stands, as far as I can assess from my TV set, was unsurprisingly reserved.
There can be no excitement without suspense. Which makes it all the more pathetic to see Maria Sharapova celebrate another point with a pumped fist when she is leading 6-0 5-1 with the opponent asking for mercy.

So,w hat happened on the other courts? The lovely Ana Ivanovic had a very convincing win, and very secretly I hope she can get very far in this tournament. Please don't choke, Ana! Wimbledon champ Petra Kvitova survived a major scare, and I am happy about that. I am not a lot into Petra, I don't really know why. Her opponent was Carla Suarez from Spain, a former AO quarter-finalist. That small lady knows how to play: With a one-handed backhand! Beautiful! That's how I love tennis! And it gives me hope to see that in the women's circuit of today you can be successful with a one-handed backhand when virtually anyoone else hammers the ball with two hands. Well done Carla, you are on your way back to the glory days of 2008/09! No te desanimes!
After a tricky first-round appearance, Germany's Sabine Lisicki delivered much better against Shahar Peer. I also hope she gets far!
On the men's side, the alwys unpredictable Frenchmen Jo and Gael powered through, Murray had an easy day at the office, and my buddy Daveeeeed Ferrer struggled to send Ryan Sweeting back home. Go David!

The night session at Rod Laver Arena ended with another low point. The much-awaited showdown between veterans Andy Roddick and Lleyton hewitt was cut short as Andy had to retire after the third set. I couldn't see the match (University duties grrr) but I saw a picture of Andy sitting on his bench that almost made me cry. He had such a disappointed look on his face. I must say that I absolutely adore Andy, one of the funniest characters in the game, and a fair one on top. He did a lot of the sport, but is generally underestimated because Roger always stole his thunder. I really wish he would win a second Grand Slam title, he deserves it. Hewitt will clash with young hopeful Milos Raonic from Canada. I hope Rusty Hewitt will keep up with expectations.


Despite the negative note, I believe that things can only get better at RL Arena! It is a beautiful stadium with a big name and even bigger fans. Aussie fans will soon get what they deserve: Drama baby, drama!
Day 5 on RLA will start with Vamos-Rafa facing Lukas Lacko. If Rafa's knee is alright, the match should go his way easily, but let's not forget: Last year, Lacko managed to give Rafa a bagel (6-0 !). After that, Roger will face Big Ivo K., service monster ans Twitter poet. And the night session, with local hero Tomic facing Dolgopolovolopologolopov promises to be a cracker!

What will happen on the other courts? I am looking fwd to see my frontrunner Vika Azarenka play young German hopeful Barthel, as well as the big gun duel between Isner and Feliciano Lopez. I see five sets there.
Lu vs Del Potro also sounds very promising.

Hey, did I mention one-handed backhands? Do you love them as I do? Then DON'T MISS 2 of the best backhands in the game facing each other, Wawrinka vs Almagro. Wonderful ! Suerte, Nico!!

Get ready, Tennis fans down under! The third round is about to begin, that's when the Grand Slam really starts getting exciting. How I wish I could be there.

Next year I will. This year, my couch in a Brussels livingroom will do.

@AtleticoDave

No comments:

Post a Comment