Jan 31, 2012

The Day After The Titanic AO Final

Yesterday (Monday) we had a general strike in Belgium. No public transport on the coldest day of the year so far. Consequence: I had to walk a total of 2,5 hours through downtown Brussels to make my appointments. Brrrrrrrr... and while I was walking through the cold, I thought of the AO Final to keep myself warm. "If they can spend 6 hours running and hitting balls in the scorching heat, then I can walk calmly and have a coffee every now and then today. Be strong!", is what I was telling myself.

Of course, thinking about the match, I always came back to that missed easy backhand of Nadal's at 4-2 in the fifth set. I wondered if Nadal also kept thinking about it, or if he really was that cool about it. That shot decided the match. That was the one shot that gave Djokovic hope. This is Tennis. You are down, then you win a point you didn#t deserve, and you are back. Tennis is amazing. Tennis is cruel.

However, there is one fact: Djokovic was the better player during the whole match. Nadal came back to win the fourth set because HE HAS BIGGER COJONES THAN ANY OTHER SPORTSPERSON IN THE WORLD. Nadal's achievements are breathtaking. He, Djokovic and Federer, all three of them have taken Tennis to another level. I wouldn't want to miss anyone of them.

In the Sunday final, the first three hours were of medium quality. It is astonishing that these players need three hours to warm up, only to play their best tennis in the three hours that follow.

The final will be remembered forever. I really hope Nadal thinks the right things and doesn't give up. he was so close. But he has to improve still. Generate more power with his groundstrokes. Don't go three metres behind the baseline. Play the return deep into the middle of the court, to give Djokovic no angles, and build the point from there.

As a fan, I thank both players for giving it all in that match, and making us proud of witnessing these exciting times in men's tennis.

As for me, I lost a match yesterday I should have won. 5-3, 40-30 up, own serve. I lost 5-7, as it always happens when I have a big lead. I have a long history with that. As you see, i have some mental work to do as well.

@AtleticoDave

PS.: Congrats to Azarenka for her well-deserved title. I would write more about it, but her opponent in the final displayed an unworthy performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment